Panama Facts

  • Passports and Visas
  • Health Information
  • Time
  • Electricity
  • Languages Spoken
  • Currency
  • Gratuity Tips
  • Banks, Credit Cards, ATMs
  • Clothing Requirements


Bahía de Panamá


Panama has a cosmopolitan capital city, incredible rainforest and some of the finest snorkeling, birding and deep-sea fishing in the world, so it's hard to figure out why travelers tend to steer clear of this country or just whiz through. It may have something to do with the fact that Panama is known internationally for its canal.

Sponsored Links
Panama is a microcosm of the Americas with a mixture of Latin, European, black and Indian populations. 65% of Panamanians are mestizo (European-Indian mixed) and the other 35% are a combination of traditional Indians, Caribbean blacks, European and Chinese.
The interior is mostly steep with rugged mountains and dissected, upland plains. The coastal areas are largely plains and rolling hills.
There are hundreds of islands off both coasts of Panama, and because the coasts are just an hour's drive apart, you could easily spend the morning snorkeling in the Caribbean Sea and the afternoon swimming in the Pacific Ocean. Fishing enthusiasts will be pleased to know that more deep-sea fishing records have been set at Pias Bay, on the Pacific coast, than anywhere else in the world. Cana, deep in the heart of Parque Nactional Darien, is birding nirvana, and what's more, you're likely to find yourself alone as you take in the great green, blue-and-yellow, red-and-green and chestnut-fronted macaws.
Climate and Weather
The temperature is about the same year round: in the middle to high 80's during the day and cooling off in the evenings to the perfect 70's. However, during the dry season, there are days in the that hit the 90's. In the highlands, it gets cool at night and you will need a sweater or sweatshirt. During the rainy season, June through mid-December, there are afternoon torrential rains almost daily which usually last no more than an hour. Humidity is high in Panama City and the lowlands during the rainy season.
Other Important Information
For more detailed information from,
Read Lonely Planet Panama
View Modern Marvels: Panama Canal
Destination Wedding Information
Marriage in Panama
  1. Fill out the application for a license to enter into marriage before the competent court for the jurisdiction where at least one of the parties live.
  2. Health Certificate, including: General Medical Exam
    Lab Tests: Hemoglobin Electrophoresis, Hematic Biometry, VDRL, Urinalysis.
    These documents must be issued within the last 15 days prior to the ceremony by a registered physician.
  3. Birth Certificate
  4. If the parties have not been married previously, a certificate (Certificado de Solteria) to that effect must be presented.
    For foreign citizens: The Birth Certificate must be issued in your country of origin. The certificate stating your civil status (Certificado de Solteria) must be issued in the country where you have been residing the last 2 years. Both certificates must be authenticated.
  5. Two witnesses of legal age, not related to any of the parties (i.e. within the fourth grade of consanguinity or second degree of kinship or by adoption). Which means the following cannot be a witness: brother/sister, cousin, uncle/aunt, nephew/niece, son/daughter-in-law, father/mother- in-law or brother sister-in-law-of the couple to be married.
  6. "Cedula" or passport with corresponding visa. For more detailed information, contact the US Embassy in Panama.